Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Wednesday, Humpday Miscellany

I'm Busier than You Are

Yesterday, talking to one of the faculty members, we were discussing when we could next meet up and without realizing it, entered into a contest of Who is Busiest.

"Well, tomorrow I have to attend all of the first year classes..."
"All of them? For the full 55 minutes?"
"No, just to introduce myself. We're all doing it so that the students know who the professors are for each section, so they know who is running the tutorials, that kind of thing. How did your kids like the first day of school?"
"They loved it. I loved that I only have one dropoff and pickup now."
"Yeah, that's tough. In January we'll have two dropoffs and pickups, and J works in Toronto and I'm here. At least in January I'm only teaching the lab course, not first year too."

I lost. I'm not as busy, even though my time is completely full. I didn't want to admit the new degree and the swimming lessons and music lessons and yoga and commuting and whatever the heck else I do. She won that one.

Packed Like Lemmings Into Shiny Metal Boxes...
participants in a suicidal race.

Commuting can be difficult, but ours is a pretty easy ride most of the time.

We commute to work and we listen to the radio in the morning, because Maureen Holloway is very funny and we can listen to the station out of Toronto that hosts her when she isn't talking to the rest of the country. Sometimes the radio is too boring though, so we listen to music. Lately it's been a mix of Foo Fighters (Echoes Silence Patience and Grace), the Police (mixed cd) and most recently, The Talking Heads. I love that band. They are long broken up, and I hope they never get back together and do anything stupid like a reunion tour. I hate reunion tours, they're so pathetic.

It's Still Summer

I already discussed this. Hurricanes are supposed to wander up our way over the weekend, but by the time they get here they'll just be big rainstorms. I suppose that rather than cooler weather, hurricanes are a better sign that fall is upon us. Curses. I thought I still had a few weeks to be self-righteous.

Separated at Birth

And now...for your viewing enjoyment....

Me:



and Mrs. Incredible (she's a bit blurry because I expanded her):

No comments: