Sunday, February 17, 2008

Whole lotta nothing

So a couple of weeks have passed. My low blood pressure self-diagnosis was wrong, it was an inner ear problem and it's mostly fine now. I just shouldn't turn around too quickly or bend over and stand up too quickly, or do certain things at yoga where I have to scoop my whole body through a movement. Most of those things make me sort of dizzy but not really......it's a yucky feeling.

Things said this week:

By the Big Child, who looked at me through bleary eyes at 6:30 a.m. and said, "Mumma why, why do you go to bed so late and get up so early?" to which the only logical reply was, "Because I am nuts."

By the Smaller Child, who was looking over Hub's shoulder while he was working. "Daddy, when will you be done this so I can go on Webkinz?" "The computer is not a toy. I am working." After two minutes, Small One says, "Ugh. This is going to take forever," and stomps off.

Things done this week:

Several crystal structures solved, one an organometallic complex that was actually two completely different compounds in the same crystal. While my crystallographic boss said he has seen this many times, I disagreed. "You have not. That's not "normal", and you don't see it all the time." What I meant was that in general, when you make an organometallic Rh(I) complex, it's just the one compound that comes out at the end, not two. If you have more than one product, they crystallize separately. I've done a lot of that chemistry, but I just didn't realize what my argument was.

I calibrated the AV600, but not the lineshape. The lineshape sample is dissolved in acetone-d6, and the problem lies with the high pressure nitrogen line, which isn't steadily blowing N2. Generally, the lock signal for the lineshape sample isn't steady, so shimming this is difficult.

Monday evening, went to a Lenten evening retreat with a friend of mine.

Tuesday evening, mass.

Wednesday evening, yoga.

Thursday evening, home.

***
Not very exciting, which is why I haven't bothered to write anything. I have thought of fun posts, but the thoughts usually occur to me when I don't have anything to write on, and now of course they're out of my head. Perhaps tomorrow something will be clearer. For now it's late, and I should go to bed, because even if I don't have to or want to tomorrow, I will likely get up ridiculously early and complain because I stayed up too late.

No comments: