I should be enjoying my children's company, and the house should magically clean itself. I should wake up every morning with a song in my heart and a spring in my step, my neighbours should be smiling and they should have fixed the starter on their stupid van so they don't have to smash it with a wrench every morning at 6:03 bang bang bang varrrrooohm and while they're getting their vehicles fixed maybe the broken window on the driver's side could be replaced before the snow flies. Maybe I shouldn't be so preoccupied with my neighbours and their appearances...and oh, I would, but I'm really a petty person, ungrateful for life and my relatively good health.
A couple of days ago The Big One really really wanted a tiara for her Halloween costume, and so after school on a day that was raining, we went to The Mall. I don't go there very often, but I'd already exhausted other tiara possibilities. Even The Little One didn't mind going to the mall, what with its sparkly lights and pretty girls and bump and grind music everywhere. The children were groovin' and slidin' all the way along the long mallhallway to the store with the tiaras, and The Little One, true to form, was making eye contact with every female over the age of three. When asked if she liked being there, the Big One said breathlessly, "Oh yes Mumma. I love it."
I've taught you well then.
We picked the biggest tiara, suitable not only for Halloween but also for everyday wear, because you just never know when you will need to be a princess.
It turns out that the need to be a princess happened about five minutes later, because on the way home, within sight of the house in fact, we got clipped and the mirror flew off the car. It can't get fixed until next week. Single parenting and having to take care of everything bites ass.
Below are the pieces of a sweater that I made for The Big One. They are made from a really pretty purple heather wool from Briggs & Little Mills in Harvey Station, New Brunswick. I had to stand up on the edge of the bed to take this picture but the lighting is still uneven and crooked. The pieces are beautiful, and they fit together really nicely into a little sweater. Too little for Big One. Agh. Luckily, I have a church bazaar to donate to in the next couple of weeks, so I'll give it to them to sell. When I thought of this I was reminded of my grandmother and her sister, who would start knitting for the Christmas Cheer Board in Winnipeg every fall, and race to see who could make the most sweaters. "Damn," Grandma would say after hanging up the phone, "Louise is up to 17 sweaters already." Then she'd knit like a fiend, nonstop for three days and make 20 to surpass her sister. Usually Grandma won, because Louise's arthritis was bad and she wouldn't be able to hold the needles.
Really then, making a sweater that's too small wasn't a waste of effort at all.
Finally, here you see the shit machines that have taken up residence in the soccer field across the street. They strut around stupidly and drop loads of guano into the grass. I guess that's good for the grass, and maybe that's good for the mushrooms that grow in the field, but the place is a goose-poop land mine field.
In all, the week has been interesting as opposed to overwhelming. It was nothing like my weeks when Hub was in Southern ON and I was still back on the East Coast, managing a huge job and kids and daycare and feeding and eating and drinking...ye gods the drinking. I hardly drank anything alcoholic this week, but then I also had a raging flu (and I wasn't going to post a picture of phlegm, because really, this isn't a medical forum) and fever. Forgot to mention that part of the week. Hmph. Funny how these little details escape you.


No comments:
Post a Comment