Friday, July 6, 2007

Knitting Content

Really, I am a knitter. I just don't do it as much as I'd like because I have other life things that keep me from sitting still. I have a yarn stash as big as ......... well, FFS helped me pack up the yarn last year when we moved, and every time he found more he'd yell out, as if in pain. If I never buy any more yarn I will have enough to make almost anything I want.

If I never buy anymore yarn. Ha.

So of the knitting blogs I frequent, I checked out The Yarn Harlot this morning, and see that she's referring to something called MS3. What could this be? It sounds like a movie sequel, like MIB3 or MI3. I checked it out, and of course I joined. You think I don't have laceweight in the stash? I have several different kinds, but I've chosen some dark blue merino laceweight from Elann for this.

Thing is, I still have Frankenfinger with which to contend, and I don't know if I can knit. A couple of weeks ago The Knitting Curmudgeon posted her Open Mic question: If you couldn't knit, what would you do? And while I was lying in Emergency a week ago Sunday and contemplating the fact that I could lose my finger or more with this infection (one's mind runs amok when no one is placating the overactive imagination) I tried to think of what I would do with only one arm (imagination. amok.) and came up with nothing. One-handed crafting seemed very difficult, and while Def Leppard has a one-armed drummer, a one-armed knitter seemed rather obscure and quite impossible. I could be wrong. I mentioned the one-armedness to Hub while we were waiting for me to get in; it seemed like a good diversion at the time. I figured a one-armed crystallographer wouldn't be a problem, but one-armed crafting would be a challenge. He suggested I get a hook.

Nonetheless, Since Frankenfinger is the right index, and I throw with that finger when I knit, and there's a good bit of the finger MIA right where the yarn would run because I had a big blister there and the healing is slow, I think I can't knit. Yet.

This does not stop me, however, from downloading and printing and gathering up materials, including the beads that I have which will go perfectly with this shawl. I had started using the beads on another project but it sucks ass and I will be happy to rip it out and never see it again. Project abandonment is the better part of valour, all that. And the other thing that does not stop me is that I'm not quite finished the little bolero jacket (the black one near the bottom of the page, if you're looking. I'm not making it in black.) that I'm making for my sister, whose birthday was in April. I am nothing if not slow with the knitting, but sitting still is a problem for me especially sitting still with the stocking stitch on tiny needles.

I didn't want to post this with the SIL post because I think they need to be separate topics. I mean, my small injury compared to her whiling away her time in CCU? doesn't compare.

It's all-hospital, all the time though. My other sister (not the one getting the bolero jacket, although she's an ICU nurse and is therefore in the hospital all the time) had an ACL repair yesterday. I'll give her a call today; she's had this done before on her other knee, and I've had it done also. There are better ways to spend a summer. One could knit a shawl for example.

No comments: