Friday, June 1, 2007

Green Green Grass of Home

In the prairies, when it's raining, everything is bright bright green. The plants figure they've got to grow now, while there's water, before the drought hits. Everything is a different shade of green, and it's amazing, it goes on and on along the highway, through the city, everywhere.

When we were at the Bruker Mixer up in the revolving restaurant, someone I know from a former job said to me, "It's really flat here." This guy is a brilliant scientist, and also clearly a master of the obvious. "Yes it is!" I yelled, because it was loud and I was drunk, "and the best thing about that is that the sky is your own private planetarium. On a summer night, you go and lie in a field and you can see stars forever. It's amazing." It is amazing, but man, it is fucking flat. I drove out of the city one day and was again shocked by the openness, the going on foreveredness.

I will write more about the trip later. The conference was mostly gossip and drinking, although I did go to some good talks. I was not a pariah at all, in fact I was still The Most Popular Girl in the Class. The family visits were good. Everything was good. BF1 and T finally met each other, and that went well.

BF2 is moving to Chicago at the end of the month, leaving me and BF1 nowhere to stay when we go to London some day. Apparently Chicago has some good shopping. Actually, I know that it does, and I know that it has a decent art gallery and many good restaurants and Wrigley Field (and Kamiski Park, which I've been to several times but not Wrigley) and other things. It's not London but it is sort of halfway between where we are. (1100km for her, 750 for me).

That's about it, although there were many things that happened this past week. I honestly can't believe how fantastic everything was.

No comments: