Thursday, April 8, 2010

Rant rant

I should be grateful that Moderately Large University has offered me a job. I should be thrilled to take their money in exchange for the most fun job in the world, ever.

And yet, I feel trapped. It's as though we've gone from that easy-breezy sort of relationship where we're close and maybe there's a future but nobody ever talks about it...you know, like living together, to full-on married. Suddenly I have a commitment, I have to tell where I am all the time, I have to make sure I put my hours in, and damnit all to hell I used a week of vacation when I went to Cuba. Did I know I was using a week of vacation? Shouldn't I have been aware of that? Sure, except that I wasn't clear enough about the "I'm not here don't pay me" part of the instruction. So they paid me. So I took five days out of my precious 15 days.

This is bugging the hell out of me. I am squeamish about this new arrangement, one where we're tied together and I can't just sneak off for a day or two without checking in with the powers that be. Instead of having control over my time, I have to report my time. I take a day off, I lose one of those vacation days.

I realize that most people operate this way, but for the last 12 years I haven't had to tell anyone how I was spending my time, because most of the time I was working like a dog. I still work a lot (hello? fatigue? you can suck it.) but now I don't have autonomy. I'm not the independent entity I was before.

I liked it better when I wasn't reporting to anyone. Staying home doesn't pay as well as working though, so hi ho hi ho....and get used to it and quit complaining already. I get it. I have a job that I love, I'm lucky. Trapped and lucky.

2 comments:

FFS said...

Making adjustments is just a part of life. It sucks, but you have to deal with it.

I have to say, I am looking forward to being "trapped and lucky"

Hilary said...

Yeah, you know what? I adjust all the time, it's just that lately every single thing that happens to me, good or bad, makes me overreact. Not all adjustments suck, some are excellent. Aspects of this particular adjustment happen to suck. That said, I'm looking forward to your being "trapped and lucky" too.