Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Really, nothing

So I've been sitting in the livingroom since before 6:00, and Hub left for work that early today as he got up at about 4:30 this morning. We are often up out of bed at (what other people consider) ridiculously early hours, although today was a bit more silly than other days. I don't sleep a lot with this chemo gig, sometimes because I'm too hot, sometimes because I'm on steroids, mostly I think it's because I don't do much during the day. Anyway, I've been up for a while here, as it's 9:00a.m. already. I've watched the CBC Morning News (the last couple of days have held some extra-bad news, too) about 50 times I think, and seen the UQAM students do their rendition of the Black Eyed Peas Got a Feeling (or something like that) as many times as the CBC can manage to play it. I've gotten the kids out the door to the bus, and today they declared that even though I'd gotten dressed and put my hair on and everything, and they were very sorry about that, but they'd like to walk themselves to the bus. My children! all growing up and everything. Don't tell them that I was secretly relieved that I wouldn't have to go and stand around and wait for the bus with them, nor that I didn't even watch from the porch to see if the bus picked them up. It's only half a block away.

One consequence of getting up at crazy hours is that breakfast is an ephemeral, fleeting sort of idea. I have something full of carbs for first meal, usually toast or cereal and other things, but now I'm hungry again so in between words here I'm shovelling in tabouleh from a giant bowl of the stuff that I made yesterday. It's quite spectacular, and I can actually taste quite a bit of it although there's something quite bitter in there (garlic?) that was slightly off-putting at first bite, even though I like bitter flavours. The lemon is strong, as is the parsley (maybe the bitter flavour comes from that) and the mint is in there, and the tomatoes. I can taste bitter and sour flavours (luckily I like them, as I said) but sweet and salty? Not so much. Last night while we were gazing at House and having a pot of tea, Hub brought some cookies to the table. I would normally eat the cookies, enjoy the cookies, but not now. Cookies are, sadly, just crunch things that turn to mush and perhaps have extra bits in them like oatmeal ... so it's mush oatmeal, and chocolate chips? slimy wax. Sadly, I didn't think I should eat the cookies, so Hub had to eat them, the poor guy.

Anyway, now I've had first breakfast, second breakfast that many would consider to be lunch but I don't, and it's almost time to try out an errand to the grocery store. I can lean on the cart, it'll be okay, I've done this before. Plus, I've eaten.

No comments: