Tuesday, March 24, 2009

I really should stop by here more often

Okay. I know. I'm taking a writing course and I can't be bothered to do my writing. It's a tough call....stay up and write some blather about myself, or go to bed? Most of the time it's go to bed. The course, the work, the kids, the spring! I love the spring! and I'm so easily distracted....

Today was a normal working day, people came to see me so I could iron out their crystallographic problems, I solved some, went backwards on others (you know the adage you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear? You can't make crap data and multiple crystals look like the most perfect data ever, either.) surfed the Globe and Mail, learned something new, (only one thing??) stayed later than I should have, got home, gulped down dinner and then went out to a school council meeting.

Too much stuff.

Also today, on the way home, I had one of my first bouts of car sickness in forever, and this was highly unpleasant, as you can imagine. Firstly, for anyone who's curious (and I know you aren't) I did not hurl. I just felt terrible. It was the perfect storm of being very hungry, travelling on a windy road, having to look down into my purse for a book to write in, holding my phone to my ear, and the little relapse of inner ear equilibrium that has gone awry. Call me seasick, because agh, I was. I held out though, so that WorkSpouse (not to be confused with Hub) did not have to pull the car over so I could, well, you know. Hurl. Nothing worse, but the rest of the ride home was no picnic either, and let me tell you, there was no temptation to knit. The knitting stayed in the bag, although I did glance at it, only to be rewarded with a fresh bout of dizzy nausea.

Even talking about it is making it come back, except that it could be the inner ear thing. Stupid body, it's revolting on me here. The ear, the weird shoulder thing that could be frozen shoulder except that I think in normal people frozen shoulder means they can hardly lift their arm. For me it means that I can't fold it backwards and reach up to my neck (yeah. Hard to imagine that, isn't it? My way with description defies ... um. Something. It's defiant.) and it hurts to put my coat on. The rest of the time I can pretend there's nothing wrong at all, and face it, how often do you have to fold your arm up behind yourself and touch the back of your head? Not often you'd gamble, eh? Well, often enough if you go to one yoga class. Or you might have to hang out in plank pose while the instructor explains something to the class (because she's a masochist) and you might find that the shoulder? Isn't so interested in holding you up any more.

Well, and there's the little ligament in the groin area that appears to have been torn while I was asleep. Did I do some kung-fu fighting in my dreams? apparently this has been the case. Now again, regular people wouldn't complain about sitting on the floor with their feet together and not being able to put their left knee on the floor (I know, the description. Excellent, isn't it?) while the right one is happily resting there, going nyah nyah, shouldn't have gone to that kung fu bar last night...and the inside of the left leg is screaming to be released.

Lately then, as in the last couple of weeks or so, the body seems to be telling me something. Not sure what it is though, because I cannot decipher its cryptic message. Don't go to bed? Don't get in the car when hungry? What about the inner ear thing? is this an on-again off-again relationship? because I'm done. I'm through with the ear thing, the muscle thing, the tired thing, the doing too much thing. Once this course is over I'm going to scale back. That's right, I'm only going to do 50 things a day. No more. If this means that when it's bedtime and I've done my 50 things, then there's no face-washing or teeth-brushing. 50 things.

Yeah, I don't believe me either.

No comments: