Time marches on, a thousand things happen, and there is no time to record them for posterity. I don't really do that here anyway, record things for posterity that is. I just write things down. People read about them, and then they go and read something else.
My job has been extended, because the person I'm replacing has become pregnant and will embark upon maternity leave in a few months. I am not sure which job she is actually taking maternity leave from, whether it's the one I'm filling now, or her current one. If she's taking a leave from her current (contractual) position, then the job I'm doing should be advertised and permanently filled. If she's taking leave from the job I'm doing, then she should kick me out of the job I'm doing so she can do it, and then take a maternity leave from it.
I suspect she kicked me out of this job for five seconds so she could take maternity leave from this position. I don't know, because when the administrator said, "Do you want to stay for another year? because your predecessor is taking mat leave and we need someone to fill the job, and it's a very difficult job to fill because very few people have the skills to do it..." I said sure! I love this job! no better job in the world for someone with as little ambition as me!
Which is very true. If I were ambitious, this job would suck ass. There is no where to go. There is no way to be promoted. I could take on more responsibilities, but I would still be doing this job...just doing more work with it. I can become an expert in something, but as it is I'm spread pretty thin in the expert department right now....I do have some tricks up my sleeve, and I will probably pursue them, but this is out of my own curiosity as much as trying to keep myself indispensable.
And what will happen in another year? Will she return to this job, or go and do something else? Another year where the facilities languish because I'm not going to give them 110%, and because they can't make real long-range plans that include all staff members (not knowing who the staff member is) ... and what about me? Just because I have no ambition doesn't mean that I like living in limbo. I'd rather actually have a job I can commit to. Or no job. I'd rather have no job, truth be told. Not working is sweeeeet.
Ah! the water is boiling, the tea will be made. I think I will do some mindless knitting...a flat piece that turns into a beautiful little garment, (other people sell it, this was the best link I could find. Plus, mine will not be lumpy.) courtesy of the Fleece Artist...it's something I don't have to look at while I work on it, which is good because for some reason every time I move my eyes they hurt.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment