Today was a terrible no good very bad day.
The diffractometer died, just as I got everything set up and ready to go. Not sure what happened because on the APEX II system I don't know how to turn on the generator. I think that the stuff I need to get at is behind a big metal panel, but you have to understand my hesitation with opening up a diffractometer. High voltage (cue Dirty Deeds by ACDC) and all that. When the boss is away, everything breaks. I'm blaming the weather, as the humidity has been very high for the last week, and the temperature has soared. The diffractometer room is mostly climate-controlled, but it is not immune to thunder and lightning. A UPS (uninterrupted power source, not a handsome man in a brown uniform, although that might help too) would be useful, but a) they are expensive and b) we'd need three of them, and even then it might not cover all the bases.
So that was one thing.
The other thing is missing data and data that will not solve well. Let's say that young Professor X needs to apply for tenure this spring, and naturally he has several papers to write and submit to reputable journals before his full application goes out. I have no feeling one way or the other as to whether Professor X should get tenure, because I haven't seen his application and I don't know what all is in it. I do know that when Professor X emails me on a Friday night about data from six structures, that his chances of getting anything from me are slim and none until Monday. This is especially true because it was the Little One's birthday this past weekend, and he is a demanding little six-year-old. [aside: Party next weekend, because LO didn't hand out the invitations on time for this past weekend. Fine with me, gives me more time to figure out how to feed the little darlings something other than hot dogs.]
Six datasets I needed. Eight if you count the two I had to finish up on my own. The six datasets? three are available, but not all the files. Three I could not lay my hands on at all. We are in some kind of trouble, but I don't even know what kind of trouble that is yet. I do know that by the end of the day I nearly broke down, worried about putting the tenure application together.
Having applied for tenure I know that it's very scary. I also know that submitting papers is very scary, which is why Prof X hasn't done it up until now. It's hard to listen to people criticize the work that you've practically killed yourself to produce.
It's very difficult, but at the same time? it's not like the application is a secret to the candidate.
And I'm so sorry, I'd love to finish this but I'm exhausted and going to bed. I will finish it tomorrow.
Monday, June 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment