Driving into work today, it hit me: the truth about music is that:
Bands named after cities suck.
Face it: Boston, Chicago, Kansas. I don't mind these places to visit, I've been to all of them, but agh!! their music!! is terrible!!
****
Today was the first day of the food out of the yard season, and rhubarb crisp was eaten for dessert at our house. The beans and peas and swiss chard are making their debut, the zucchini and peppers and garlic chives and onions and tomato plants are all very happy.
I have planted pasta sauce.
****
At a party recently, someone asked me what I do. Seeing as I was standing next to the chair of the department, I said well, essentially, I save his (pointing to the chair) ass. And I'm not bitter about it.
****
I am planning another birthday party for the Little One this coming weekend. He will be six years old, and we will have a houseful of little boys for a Saturday afternoon. I'm fine. Everything is fine. No need to panic. We have a soccer field across the street, and I will toss a ball at them and make them run for two hours before I feed them. It'll be great.
It better bloody not rain.
****
Pittsburgh!! you've got 3:36 left in the first overtime period! skate already! score, would ya? and somebody tell your coach that Sidney Crosby will have a heart attack if he doesn't get a chance to catch his breath and take a break!
****
We were at the wedding of Hub's nephew on the weekend. The hair tells it all, as BF1 said to me. Oh the hair! between the giant, curly heads and the mullets, I could have sworn it was 1980. Remarkable.
The food was pretty spectacular though. Italian weddings and three hours of dinner....and still, Hub's comment after he read the menu:
What? No fish?
****
Due to the afore-mentioned wedding, we had to download this week's episode of BG. No captions means I only heard about 1/3 of the whole show. I'll have to watch the thing a few more times before Friday night so I'm totally up to speed.
****
I think that about wraps it up. No knitting to report, I'm reading The Ghost Map and learning everything I ever wanted to, and more, about cholera. Previously read The End of the Alphabet, after slogging through Why I am a Catholic by Gary Wills. I'm being generous when I say slogging; that was some slow read....I don't have a good link for this book. Suffice to say it's informative about church history, it degrades a bit when he gets caught up in his issues with the papacy, and it's very academic. It is not light reading.
The End of the Alphabet got mixed reviews. The publisher thinks it's a beautiful story, ethereal...and it is, if you read it that way. If you read it and expect it to be more tender, more real, more something that you're not finding, then it's going to disappoint you. It's a short novel, almost a novella, and it survives on a paucity of words. I liked it quite a bit.
****
Now I am done for the day. I just saw a centipede scamper across the floor. They totally squick me out and I am not a bit fond of them, even though I know that they don't actually do anything except hang out, look ugly, and move fast. They eat other bugs. We have an old house, there's no way to get rid of the garden variety bug, but man, I do not like those ones.
Monday, June 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment