Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Too late

On the weekend I was thinking of my dad's birthday and how I love birthdays. Other people I know (BF1, BF2) don't put so much stock into the birthday, but me, I am the most important person in the world on my birthday, and you had better remember it. If you don't, then I'll remind you. On your own birthday (should I know the date) I try to remember to send you something that will mark the day...usually it's late, sometimes I forget completely and then call you and start the conversation off with, "Oh my God!! it was your birthday!!..." without identifying myself and you might wonder, "Who is this woman yelling at me..?" and then realize that it's the Crazy Birthday Freak Lady.

Today is my dad's birthday, and it's also my (half)sister's birthday, which is cool.. I can make one phone call and hit two people! it's most excellent. I sent my dad's present (lemon drops and a jar of grape jelly from last fall. Normally we do not like grape jelly, but this past fall the grapes were so amazing that the jelly was gorgeous. Flavourful, not like that crap you buy in the store in a jar that's all sugar and purple colouring.) on the weekend, so it should get there tomorrow or maybe the end of the week, depending on the rate at which Canada Post decides to move.

I called Calgary, and my sister answered and when she didn't recognize my voice I figured something was not quite right. My stepmother got on the phone and said, "Sorry Hilary, you're too late for Happy Birthday."

Too late? but it isn't midnight. It's only 4:30 in the afternoon where you live, and that's not midnight, so it's still April 15, right? Hello Brain? did you miss something? What the .......

oh.

Dad died today. My stepmother went to work this morning and he was his usual self, and my sister called him at noon to say happy birthday, seeing as they share it and all, and his friend Lawrence was coming over for drinks this afternoon, except that Dad wasn't up for drinks because he was dead. Damn. Poor Lawrence.

RIP, Ted. You lived well, you died well. You didn't do everything right. You never believed that anything bad would happen.

No comments: