Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Like sheep

Yesterday, April 1, April Fools' Day (does it belong to all the Fools? or is it Fool's as in, it's a day for one Fool only? who are the Fools and what should we serve them for lunch?)

sorry.

Yesterday, April 1, was a day of Inexplicable Knitting in Toronto. The Yarn Harlot launched her newest book (not the one she just finished writing, the one previous to that) and during the day, before the book launch, people were sent out in the city to collect pictures of their partially-knitted sock at various locations.

Me, I was at work, but I had Hub take a photo and I submitted it to the Flickr group. (my pic is early on, so it's either on the last or second-last page of the group. last i looked, that was page 17.) It's in the Flickr thingy on my sidebar if you don't want to follow the link, and I can't seem to find the original right now on my laptop, and it's late, and I'm tired, and I'll find it tomorrow or some other day........anyway. It's part of the group, and if you go over there you'll see the (some might say) stupid stuff that people had to do to take pictures of their half-done socks at various landmarks, with police officers, Tim's employees, hockey players, William Shatner's star on the walk of fame, Gord Downie........

So I found the best knitting buddy I could, a 700MHz NMR magnet. It's 10 feet tall, and I get to stand up on the ladder...because that's the only way you get get the samples into the magnet, and it has all kinds of cool stuff near the bottom of the magnet too, but that wouldn't fit in the picture and still show the sock.

Now, it's time to go to bed, because tomorrow is a busy day of volunteering at the kids' school, then packing up to go to Calgary for the weekend.

Speaking of Calgary, I got an1100 yard skein of lace-weight silk yarn in the mail this week, to make a lovely shawl in the Year of Lace project. Winding that baby into a ball is going to take a lonnnnngggg time.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done... Despite my love of chemistry and NMR, I must say: NERD!

Nah, that's a pretty original idea! I love it. Maybe the other sock will be analyzing the spectrum?

Hilary said...

I am no nerd. I'm sure of it.
The other sock declined to analyze anything; it was feeling left out.