Several people have commented to me lately that a lot more people seem to have cancer or are dying from cancer, and they’ve even asked me if I know why that is.
The Freakonomics colum at The New York Times did a Q&A with Devra Davis in November. I’m including one of the comments/questions here because I think it’s indicative of how our language gets altered to indicate that we’ve contracted a sickness, rather than the fact that we’ve been subjected to injury:
I started researching cancer in 1980. By 1985, I predicted the current cancer epidemic. By 1990, I predicted the diabetes epidemic that is going to be far worse.
The one thing everyone gets wrong is in thinking cancer and diabetes are “diseases”. They are not. They are injuries.
Understanding that these and other conditions commonly thought to be “diseases” is crucial to how these injuries are treated.
When you consider them rightly as injuries - even the hereditary forms of cancer, you can treat the conditions very differently in terms of looking for causes. It becomes much easier to correctly determine a cause for chemically induced cancer when you think this way. You can also identify who is responsible for the injury in many cases. That allows for legal action and that is why these conditions are not correctly labelled as injuries.
Diabetes is always a self inflicted injury and sugar abuse is always the cause despite what the sugar-funded science community says.
To have a doctor finally able to throw off the muzzle as Devra Davis has takes immense courage and no small amount of luck to be able to continue in her work without being amputated from her profession. It has happened to others who have dared to speak out against powerful industrial lobbies that fuel cancer, diabetes and other degenerative illnesses.
— Posted by John Newell
Another commenter pointed out that if you replace “oil companies” for “pharmaceutical companies” in some of the passages of the book, you have the same arguments against global warming.
Legal wrangling has made it very difficult to argue that a complicated mixture (like processed tobacco) causes cancer, or that interactions with that complicated mixture are the sole cause of cancer in a particular individual. It is known which components of the mixture cause cancer. It is also known that if you don’t smoke, you’ll likely reduce your chances of being injured by cancer (if I may stray into the vernacular of Mr. Newell – and I assume Doctor, but that’s not indicated – above), just like if you don’t inhale asbestos you won’t become injured by the very particular cancer that is related to that activity. Most of the people I know who currently have cancer don’t smoke and have never worked with asbestos, they’re just regular people living lives, ingesting food and drink, taking care of their families. Normal stuff, and yet they also have become injured by cancer.
I’m not quoting statistics here, since the stats are available all over the place and if you’re thirsty for numbers you can go look them up. Cancer researchers, according to Dr. Davis, focus their efforts on curing the cancers rather than on preventing them; I’m sure that’s not exclusively the case, and I don’t think she presents it quite that way. She also says that companies get information about how their products cause cancer, and then spend a lot of money to suppress that information. This isn’t news, but it’s disconcerting. I’ve spoken to former employees of pharmaceutical companies who say that they were pushed into signing off on things that they knew would solve one problem but would cause a whole host of others.
My own anti-cancer regime follows along the line of not eating too many prepared foods (although I love chips and my salt intake and the chemical intake of whatever is put on the chips du jour is sometimes through the roof), reducing the use of products with parabens in them (many cosmetics. Alkyl derivatives of parabens are known cancer-causing agents. I still use mascara. Vanity has no limit.). We don’t have shampoos or body washes with lauryl or laureth sulfate salts in them, because while these are the things that provide lots of soapy bubbles, they are also very harsh chemicals that likely cause your dandruff, if you have it. They’re harsh chemicals anyway, shouldn’t be used on skin….good for dish soap (if you wear gloves to wash the dishes. Yeah, I don't either.). I used to know someone who used Sunlight dish soap on her hair, and claimed it did “just as good a job” as regular shampoo. Yes, of course it did, because it’s pretty much the same as cheap shampoo, just different scents. I'm also a bit concerned about the whole Nalgene problem (bisphenyl-A) and I'm getting rid of the plastic bottles and turning to Sigg bottles instead to carry our water. Not that it'll really make a huge difference, but I was never a fan of Nalgene to begin with.
I also don't breathe very often, I wash my clothes in the snow (avoiding the yellow stuff, since Katie also uses the backyard as her toilet) and only eat every three days. Less chemical intake that way.
If you’re interested, Health
As you can see, I haven’t much of a clue as to why lots of people have cancer.


No comments:
Post a Comment