Wednesday, May 9, 2007

The League of Catholic Women ... The Catholic Women's League ... The Women of Catholicism ....

Okay, no recipe tonight because I'm bagged. It's been a long day, and I've done many different demanding things, and I don't have the strength for a recipe. I did make banana muffins, yogurt, and strawberry jam today so it's not like I didn't cook. I also went to the Big One's classroom to help with math, shopping for dinner tonight, shopping for birthday party items for Big One. Who needs a salary?

What I do want to discuss is the Catholic Women's League, which I joined last night amidst much ritual. Why? for many reasons. A sudden burst of faith and awe of our dear lord? not so much. Other than that though, I joined up because I'd been invited, because I've met some of the women in the church and they're nice people, because I genuinely like Father Ken even though he's a bit on the conservative side, because I want to be involved in something that helps out the community, because I have a spiritual side that needs feeding, because I can't resist a good bout of ritual, because I want to meet people and because I am curious about religious women. I collect information about people, and these are people I don't necessarily know a lot about.

When I say "I collect information about people" I mean that I strive to understand people by interacting with them and studying their behaviours. I sound like some kind of psychologist, but I'm not at all. What if I ever do get around to writing a book though? I need to know as much about people as I can find out. So call my induction to the CWL a research mission.

I knew that there would be mass prior to the meeting, which was no problem, I like a short mass. I did not know that I'd be up at the front of the church, that I'd get a candle (similar to baptism except we had to give them back) and that I'd be 'pinned'. The mass wasn't particularly short then, and there were the extra little rituals like crowning Mary (Queen of the May after all). We had to indicate that we would follow the prescriptions for the laity as outlined by the Second Vatican Council, which, among other things, indicates that we should stand before the world as a witness to the resurrection and the life of the Lord Jesus and as a sign that God lives. (again, not so much, but I don't agree with everything the Church tells me to do so I can duck this.)

At the end we had to recite a pledge to our loyalty to both the members and executive of the CWL as well as promote the interests and growth of the CWL in every way. I have to admit a bit of unease at this point, because pledging that I'm going to go along and follow what I'm told to do doesn't fly at the best of times. "I promise to cooperate with the League Officers in all programs under their direction and to conform ....." I was getting woozy by this point, and with all the fibre of my being I was trying to figure out how to escape unnoticed. It occurred to me that I could crawl under the pews like the Little One does every Sunday... or if I were Spiderman I could spin some web and swing on out of the church. Those huge ceiling beams had to be good for something. Ye gods how am I going to get out of this?? I don't play well with others! I don't follow, obey, cooperate (with everything? all of it? you'll not see me at a Right to Life rally anytime soon) or conform, and all of those terms were in the League Promise. Anything? people? What's the fastest route out......

Oh, wait.

"...to the best of my ability...."

I'm saved. No need to invoke the superhero powers, I have an escape clause all built-in here. My abilities don't extend to any of follow, obey, cooperate or conform, so I'm in the clear. Whew.

Good thing, because I knew that after the stupefyingly boring meeting there were snacks and wine. One thing about the Catholics, they pass the libations freely. I spoke with a few of the women, some of whom knew Hub's family quite well, some of whom sit behind us at church on the weekends, some of whom didn't know him or me at all. It was fun actually, in the end. I wasn't quite the youngest person there, but close. Most of the women are old enough to be my mother.

In all it was fun. Next month (meetings are monthly) we have mass again and then a short scripture meditation, and then pizza! the Italian CWL members are making pizza! I am beside myself with anticipation. I was told several times that I'd never had pizza as good as the Italian ladies make it, and while I doubt that's true, I'm interested to see what they do. I know that at least one of the people who read here is looking for my pizza recipe(s), and they're coming.

***
On the weekend I was cleaning out some old bamboo from last year so that the new stuff would come up. The stalks are really quite large, and I got the Darlings to break everything up by jumping up and down all over them. After a while they decided that riding a bike through the remains would smash it all down to reasonable pieces...it's like crunching thousands of snails underfoot except without the slime.

No comments: